Tuesday, July 7, 2009

I Need to Find the Island

I have had a few procedures done these past two days. I just bringing myself a few steps closer to having chemo started.

Yesterday I had a port put in my body. The port is an implantable device that will be used so I won't have to have an IV each time I go in for treatment. I was completely unprepared for this procedure yesterday. No one really told me what to expect. All I was told was that I needed to get the port in like it was no big deal. I guess I should have gotten the hint when I was told that it was going to be done at the Outpatient center at Summit Medical center and I when I was told not to eat or drink after midnight. I was told to be there at 8:00 but did not know that the procedure was not going to be done till 10:00. The waiting was not too bad. I got a room and was able to watch TV. The "specialist" (that is what he called himself but I think he was some kind of nurse) came and described what they were going to do which did not sound too fun. I won't tell you because it is not for the faint hearted. I'll just say the port is in my chest and they had to use a vein from my neck to know exactly where to put it. Well, he took me away to the very cold procedure room. I was sedated instead of being put to sleep but I fell asleep anyway. I only woke up once when they were poking something in me. My head was covered so I didn't see anything. Next thing I knew, I was back in my room in order to wake up. I think the whole procedure lasted about an hour.

I woke up feeling really good. Kevin and I talked and laughed and planned on eating a late lunch together as soon as they let me go. Unfortunately, I did not have the greatest nurse that afternoon. She did her job but she just didn't seem confident about anything. She came in shortly before I was going to be released and gave me a few instructions of how to take care of the port. She told me to expect some swelling and I needed to check back with my doctor to make sure that there were no problems. She told me not to get it wet while it was healing but didn't tell me how to keep it from getting wet, she just told me that the bandages that were on there would not hold up in a shower and didn't give me any more bandages. She took my IV out and did not do a good job because it hurt. While she was talking, all the pain meds that they had given me wore off and everything started hurting at once. The bandage on my neck was pulling my skin so she changed it but wasn't too sure what she was doing and then she seemed offended that I asked for something for the pain. I was just a little annoyed because the day had been too long and I didn't feel good.

It was 4:00 when Kevin and I got home that afternoon. I had not eaten all day. Kevin went and got something while I was gone but that was around 10:00. We ordered a meal from Cracker Barrel and got the kids and went home. I got supper in bed and then I spent the rest of the evening going to sleep and waking up and then going a sleep again. I was lucky I had pain meds from my last surgery because I was really sore.

Today I had a MUGA scan done. I had looked this up on the internet and it did not sound too pleasant but it was very EASY! This was done at Centennial Heart at Summit. They took my blood, injected something in it, I had to wait about 30 minutes, then they put the blood back in me and then I laid on a table for 16 minutes while this camera took a picture of how my heart pumped. The nurses were super nice and it was almost a pleasant experience. The only strange part of the day was when I walked in the waiting room (Kevin was with me today also) and there were only older men waiting. One man commented that we looked too young to be at this doctor. I agreed with him. We got done early so Kevin and I had a late lunch at IHOP by ourselves.

Now about that island. If you watch TV, you might know what island that I am talking about. This island has some type of magical powers where people are healed from diseases and injuries. The island is from ABC's Lost. I commented about the island to Kevin because no matter how many times Sayid was beaten up, he just got up and acted like nothing happened. Ben had surgery on his spine to remove cancer and just a few days later, he was traipsing across the island. Jack had his appendix taken out on a beach and less then an hour later he was organizing a search party. I watch the show and yes I know it is TV and it is not real but I wondered how they got all the energy to walk all over the island. This summer has been a roller coaster. I had major surgery and spent 3 weeks getting over the pain and then had another surgery and spent another 2 weeks getting over the pain and just when I was feeling really good, I had this port put in and it knocked me back down. If I was on the island, I would have felt better less then a day later and I could have had a more normal summer.

I am just kidding about all that. In fact, I am feeling much better today. All of this will be over in a few months and I will be fine.

1Therefore, having been justified by faith, we have peace with God through our Lord Jesus Christ, 2through whom also we have obtained our introduction by faith into this grace in which we stand; and we exult in hope of the glory of God. 3And not only this, but we also exult in our tribulations, knowing that tribulation brings about perseverance; 4and perseverance, proven character; and proven character, hope;
5and hope does not disappoint, because the love of God has been poured out within our hearts through the Holy Spirit who was given to us. (Romans 5:1-5)

No comments:

Post a Comment