Tuesday, March 2, 2010

A Handful of Pills


I went back to Dr. Raefsky yesterday for a quick check up and to get me started on the next part of my treatment for the clinical trial that I signed up for.  I will be taking a drug called Laptinib.   Laptinib is already FDA approved for women whose cancer has came back so know they are testing it on women who are going cancer the first time.  This drug is used to combat the HER2 protein.  I have to take SIX of these pills every morning on an empty stomach.   As you can see by the pictures they are not small pills.  I can take them an hour before breakfast or an hour after breakfast.  After one morning, I have decided to take them an hour after breakfast.  Taking SIX of these pills first thing when I wake up was not the best thing for my system.



On March 19th I will be having surgery again.  I having two surgeries in at one time.  First, I will be doing the exchange surgery.  I will be getting rid of these rock hard tissue expanders and receiving my implants.  Dr. Tierney will also remove my port that I used for receiving my chemo medication.  The second part is I am having my ovaries removed.  Dr. Cathy Deppen will be doing this part of my surgery.  Dr. Raefsky recommended having my ovaries removed since my cancer was also estrogen and progestern fueled.  Having my ovaries removed will put me into menopause and will give Dr. Raefsky better options for treatment. 

Because of the LORD's great love we are not consumed,  for his compassions never fail. They are new every morning; great is your faithfulness. I say to myself, "The LORD is my portion; therefore I will wait for him."to the one who seeks him; The LORD is good to those whose hope is in him,(Lamentations 3:22-25)

No comments:

Post a Comment